Friday, July 21, 2006

You Can Do It!

How I lost my job, and now am going back to school.
By Teresa C.
In September of 2005, Rockcastle Manufacturing shut down. I had worked there for twelve years, and didn’t know how to do nothing else. They gave us a choice of going back to school or finding another job. I chose to go back to school and was scared to death because I hadn’t finished high school, but did have my G.E.D.
In February of 2006 I started going to CAP at Renfro, along with about forty other students from the factory. We started taking classes in computers, language, and math. The workers at CAP have really taught me a lot. I didn’t know anything about computers and now I know a lot, thanks to Keith Gilbertson. In math, Janet Heinz taught me a lot that I didn’t know. Now I can do things in math that I never had in school.
All of us from the factory have come a long way. We will start college August 14. I am starting to get scared all over again, but I try to think on the positive side, and tell myself everything will be all right. We also have a lot of encouragement from everyone at CAP. It helps a lot to have someone to keep you thinking that you can do it.
If you ever get the chance to go back to school to better yourself, do it. If I can do it, you can do it. I promise it will beat standing on your feet for eight hours a day. I know, because I did it.