Friday, July 21, 2006

Transition

TRANSITION
BY; SHARON
Most of us saw it coming at least a year before it actually happened. Some of us were worried. However, others felt it was the best thing that ever happened to us. I was undecided, there were arguments for the future of working in manufacturing, such as good benefits, production bonus, etc., but part of me was still holding on to the dream of having a career in a field I could really enjoy, moreover, the repetitious body movements were causing problems with my joints and muscles. And the dust and lint that I was inhaling every day, were starting to affect my physical and mental health. There was an underlying fear that I would never have a truly fulfilling career. The thought of going back to school was still far from my mind.
When prior to closing the factory, the management informed us we would have the option of furthering our education, expenses paid, I did not see this as an immediate solution, I was adamant about job hunting. After many fruitless contacts I realized I was out of touch with the skills I needed for a decent paying job. I finally decided, as a result of encouragement by management, Career Center, and people who had previously been in the same predicament and with the support and encouragement of my family and friends, to go back to school, but not without misgivings.
With a good deal of uncertainty, I embarked on my journey, which began with some help from the Christian Appalachian Project’s Adult Education Center. I knew it would be tough to learn Algebra, which I did poorly in high school. I soon learned I could depend on help and encouragement from the staff of CAP adult ED. This knowledge made me consider that it might actually be possible not only to make a passing grade, but to go on and work toward my goals with confidence. I did not feel so alone in my struggle. With the help of Math Teacher, Janet Heinz, and other helpers, I have completed all the series of Breakthrough to Math books and gotten to the Fifth chapter of the Algebra book. That’s good for me!
My writing and computer skills have drastically improved thanks to Keith Gilbertson, who has somehow found time to give me the help I needed on the computer, and the pointers he’s given me on writing have helped me to organize my thoughts.
All of these things and more, that CAP has done to help, has given me a big boost of confidence, and I now believe that I can really do something with the rest of my life that I will enjoy and that will contribute something to society as well..