Friday, July 21, 2006

Adventures in Learning

By Christina
I began taking classes at CAP back in March of this year, and wasn’t positive about how things would be. Now my time with CAP, is coming to an end and I have a different outlook on things.
We started out with a TABE test to see what you needed to review. I was nervous and was afraid I would score poorly. My test scores were shocking to me. I scored fairly okay, considering I had been out of school for seventeen years.
This gave me a little encouragement to get things rolling. It started off rocky and stressful. As time went by things came back to me and made it easier for me.
Math and English were my favorite subjects in high school, as well as now.
Now it wasn’t always easy and there were days I would be ready to quit. I learned to close the workbook and take a short break in order for work to be easier for me.
The classes we were reviewing were Math, Language, Computers, and the Work Keys Training. Meanwhile, the learning center has books on different subjects. If I were having trouble understanding the math I was working on, I would quit doing math and get a book on reading, writing, and science. This would help me forget my problem and learn something different all at the same time.
In comparing my feelings in March and now, going back to school is going to be an adventure for me. I have learned that you are never to old to go to school and be able to learn. There is an old saying, “you can’t teach an old dogs new tricks”, and this is what I’m saying also. You don’t learn new tricks about school, you learn as you always did before.

Submitted by: Christina