Friday, July 21, 2006

Read My Story!!!

By Dina
When I first started to come up to the Christian Appalachian Project for school I was very disheartened. I had just lost my job that I thought I would retire from someday. The plans that I had for my life had been just thrown out of the window and I wasn’t sure what direction I would go. When I started school I felt so out of place. I had been out of school for about twenty years and did not think that I could do it. It has been different from anything I have ever done in my life. When I was young and in school, it was more like I had to go. Now that I have been going back to school at the Christian Appalachian Project, I have learned so much more than I did when I was in High School. I guess by me being older, it feels like a second chance. I had thought about going to college and even went so far as to going to orientation and getting my classes. I finally came to the decision that I do not think that college is for me. I know that a lot of older people go back to college, but it was really stressing me out. I thought about where I lived, if I would be driving farther. I have always lived in Rockcastle County and more than likely will not move away.
I had to stop and look at what I would have gone to college for and if I could find a job. I decided that I probably would do just as well to go to the Work Essential Skills classes and find a job in the surrounding counties. If I had been younger I probably would have gone to college, but I do not regret not going now. I have really enjoyed learning math and being able to write about something and not be afraid for someone to read it. When I first came to computer class I had no idea of how to turn it on or off. I am so glad that I had the opportunity to be able to come up to Christian Appalachian Project and learn all things that I have. Even if I never use a lot of this in my job, I hope someday, I can help my son if he has a problem in school. I can use my computer to do almost anything. I have more confidence in myself and the things I can do.