Friday, July 28, 2006

A Blessing

By Wendy

When I found out that Rockcastle Mfg was closing I was devastated. I couldn’t imagine what we were going to do. I knew that my husband and I couldn’t make it without my paycheck. I didn’t know which way to turn. When they mentioned returning back to school that was the last thing on my mind. I really didn’t want to go back to school. When I was in school I had to study so hard and really didn’t want to go through that again. It was a relief to learn that we could draw unemployment for a year, it would give me time to find a new job.

When they told us that we could go to college for two years and it would be paid for I really started to think. I knew that I would never get an opportunity like this again. I knew if I could just make it through two years I could have a better paying job in something that I might would enjoy. My mind really started to change. This could really be a blessing. I really got frightened when I thought about school, it had been so long since I had been in school. I knew that I had forgotten so much. I didn’t know what to do.

Then we were told to come to CAP and that really became a blessing. Coming to CAP really showed me how much I had forgotten. With the classes and all the help that we have received I knew that felt better about going to college.

Now that it is almost time for us to start college I am still a little nervous but a little excited also. I am ready to get started. I never thought that losing my job would become such a blessing. At the beginning I was devastated but now I am ready to get started on my new career. It’s funny how a bad situation can be turned into a good one.