Monday, August 07, 2006

Wonderful Learning Experience

By Linda A.
Coming to CAP Adult Learning Center for the first time was pretty scary. When we took the TABE test, I said, “They’ll probably put me back in Kindergarten.” I’m glad my scores weren’t that bad. Actually, I was pleased with them considering I had been out of school for so long. Math was my biggest concern. I had taken algebra and geometry in high school, but I had forgotten most of what I learned. Algebra was not one of my favorite subjects and I wondered if I would ever learn it again. On the other hand, Geometry was one of my favorite subjects, so I felt more confident about doing it again. I also knew there would be a lot of writing in college, which is not one of my strong points. I love to read, but I have never liked to write. The computer was another thing I knew almost nothing about, but I knew I was going to have to learn.
Attending classes at the Adult Learning Center has been such a wonderful learning experience. When I first started I never thought I’d be sharing my writing with others. I’m still not a very good writer, but now it doesn’t bother me so much to share my writing. I would never have dreamed I could help anyone on the computer either, but now with my notes I can. Without my notes I’m as lost as they are. Sometimes I can even help others with math problems.
Back in February I had no idea I would ever be able to do this.In three weeks I’ll start college classes for the first time. This is scary and at the same time exciting. Without the help I have received at the Adult Learning Center, there’s no way I could have went to college. I probably wouldn’t have made it through the first week. Now I feel more confident about being able to do the work. I know I will have to study a lot to get through college. At my age, I don’t remember things as well as I once did. I’m glad to be starting college with people I worked with at Rockcastle Manufacturing. This way I won’t feel so out of place with the younger students.