Thursday, July 27, 2006

Faith In Myself

By Mary
In February was the first time I attended the Adult Education Learning Center. At that time I had been out of school for ten years and I didn’t really know what to expect about going back to school. Some of my feeling was being afraid that all that I had learned in school was forgotten. The math was what terrified me the most because it was not my best subject in school. Even though I made B’s in the subject, I knew that I had forgotten how to do some of the math. I was afraid that all my hard work I had done in high school went to waste. Then I heard we had to take a test, called the TABE. I was horrified. I had not taken a test in ten years. It made me so nervous that I couldn’t think about anything except that test. When I came up here for the first time, and took the test, all my anxiety left. Also my biggest fear was that I would disappoint myself, that I would not be able to do the work. I would make comments to my husband, “I would go to see how dumb I was.” I am my worst critic that I question everything I do. After all the paper work was done and we started the schoolwork, I felt better. As I did some of the work, I noticed that when I answered a question I would second guess the answer and change it. Then when I would check the work andthe first answer I had was the right one.
I had very little confidence in myself. Now that I have 5 months of school behind me my attitude has changed about school. I am not nervous or afraid of what to expect.
Now that I have been in school for a while, I have realized that I have not forgotten all I learned in school, it was still there. I just need to jar my brain to wake it up. My faith in myself came back. I don’t doubt what I do like I did early in the year. I am not afraid to take a test, it doesn't consume every thought. In August I will be attending college at Somerset Community North Campus. I am a little anxious, but not like I was in February. I believe attending Adult Education has helped me in my attitude, my confidence and in my ability to do the work. My confidence in myself has come a long way. I see going to back to school as an opportunity to give family and myself a better future and a secure job. I am looking forward to going to college and the learning experience that is ahead. My attitude has changed in many ways, I am eager to learn, and can’t wait to get started. I also found it out that learning is not hard. Learning can be easy and fun if you are willing and want to. I am going to keep an open mind and be a sponge and soak up everything. I want to get everything from this experience I can. This is an opportunity to do something just for me and it will benefit my family and me. The next big step is still ahead. College is going to be challenging, but I believe I can do it.