Thursday, July 27, 2006

Blessing in Disguise

By Shannon

When I first learned that the factory was shutting down I was scared and excited. It was scary about not having a full time job with that paycheck every week. It was exciting to think about the new opportunities and possibilities that were waiting for me. The more I thought about it the more I realized that this was a blessing in disguise. I now have the opportunity that most people can only dream about. Who could pass up the chance to go to college while the government pays for everything? I never want to have to go back to a factory.
When we first started coming to CAP I was a little worried about the math part. I had always done ok with school but math was never my strong point. I just kept thinking I was never going to be able to go to college because I would never figure out how to do the stupid fractions. After the first couple of classes I started feeling more and more confident. Finally I figured out fractions. I realized that if I just worked hard, studied, and wasn’t afraid to ask for help I just might be able to get through all of this. We have been coming here for almost six months now and I feel like I can go on to the next chapter of my life and not be scared. CAP has really helped me feel better about myself. I know if I get to college and have trouble with a certain area that I can come to Keith or Janet and they will try to help me.
In a few weeks I will officially be a college student. I was terrified that I would get to class and have no clue what was going on or what I was suppose to do. I now feel that I am better prepared than most starting school with me. I am not terrified and I know I can do this now. If I had not came to CAP and had Janet and Keith to help me I know I would still be terrified. I owe both of them a big thanks for helping prepare me for what lies ahead.